Blogs > Citizens' Craze

Trends can bond people of all ages, backgrounds and economic standings, and can change the direction that society is going in. Are you wondering why your kids are doing the things they do or have you noticed that your co-worker has a new, intriguing hobby? Find out if everyone is doing it. If you notice something that you think people should know about, contact me at: NHRasanders@gmail.com or you can message me on Twitter @asanders88 or @citizenscraze.

Monday, November 22, 2010

Alcoholic Energy Drinks

The people have spoken: they want more. Alcohol isn’t enough anymore. People want caffeine too. Thanks to drinks like Four Loko, peoples’ appetites and energy levels can be sated. If you're itching to try this beverage, you better act fast because they are being banned by different states as fast as people are pulling them out of liquor store refrigerators.


I had trouble finding one of these loaded drinks in nearby liquor stores but finally happened upon Four Loko’s sister drinks Joose and Earthquake. I found Joose to be sickeningly sweet as expected by it’s Jolly Rancher pink color, yet temporarily addicting. Earthquake is almost beer-like with an amber coloring and is less appealing - mostly because it isn’t an intriguing, tainted rose color.

I’ll admit that I didn’t drink the whole 23.5 oz can alone. I had about half of it. With my petite stature and lack of a coffee addiction, I could have run a marathon. I was hyper-alert and buzzing at the same time. Later on, I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow. I closed my eyes and didn’t budge all night. While I didn’t drink nearly enough to merit a hangover, I woke up dehydrated and shaky, wanting nothing more than to lie in bed for the rest of the day. No more of this stuff for me.
But it was all in the name of fun and journalism.
As Four Loko is disappearing, it will be interesting to see if people can enjoy the drinking experience without the extra jolt of caffeine to keep them going. I’m sure that Red Bull and vodka will continue to be a favorite bar drink for those who want to party into the wee hours of the morning. But both drugs in one can makes it so convenient. Maybe drinkers will tone down their at-home consumption and save their wild drinks for the bar. Could this trend expand into more risky combination? What's next? Maybe a new alcoholic version of purple drank?

Now that all these drinks exist enabling even the biggest homebodies to become party animals, it is easy to notice the blossoming trend of relaxing drinks to take your mind down from its high. I'll try that next.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home