Blogs > Citizens' Craze

Trends can bond people of all ages, backgrounds and economic standings, and can change the direction that society is going in. Are you wondering why your kids are doing the things they do or have you noticed that your co-worker has a new, intriguing hobby? Find out if everyone is doing it. If you notice something that you think people should know about, contact me at: NHRasanders@gmail.com or you can message me on Twitter @asanders88 or @citizenscraze.

Monday, August 15, 2011

Newsprint nails and the tale of being a fashionable journalist

Do you eat, sleep and breathe news? My bet is, if you are a hard core journalist you do. You have probably had newsprint stuck to your favorite notebook after you spilled coffee on it and it created a crusted beige blob forever imprinting the news of that day onto the cardboard backing. Maybe you have even fallen asleep on a newspaper like I have and awoken to find faint sans serif type tattooed on your cheek. Here is a classier and more fun way to sport the news: on your nails.

My initial warning to you is that I have not yet tried this so I cannot report results yet but I am planning on reserving some time for a manicure tonight so I will report back with my successes and failures. I will also add that I would have told the world about this apparent trend eons ago had I known about it but my trend-savvy friend Mandy  mentioned it to me last night.


Now that I have kept you all patiently waiting, here are the instructions:
-What you will need: ten finger-nail size strips of newspaper (the words do not matter as the newsprint will appear backwards but of course content always matters so take out your New Haven Register), rubbing alcohol or vodka (for those over 21 years of age) will do just fine and a bowl that your hand will fit in.
1) Go through the whole shabang of cutting, filing and nail-polish removing your nails. 
2) Let that dry. (In fact, I am just going to asterisk this and whenever you see **, then let your nails fully dry. This is (from what I have heard) very important.
3) Paint your nails with a light color (this is important as newsprint is black)
**
4) Paint your nails once again with the same color, creating a second coat.
**
5) Dip one nail at a time in the alcohol and press your newspaper strip against your nail. I have heard it also works to dip the strip of newspaper in alcohol as well. The words should show up as planned.
**
6) Once your nails are sufficiently set and dry, coat your newsprint nails with a clear coat of polish and preform any touch-ups you may need.

The final step is to flaunt your new nails like the savvy and fashionable journo or English fiend that you are.


Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home