Blogs > Citizens' Craze

Trends can bond people of all ages, backgrounds and economic standings, and can change the direction that society is going in. Are you wondering why your kids are doing the things they do or have you noticed that your co-worker has a new, intriguing hobby? Find out if everyone is doing it. If you notice something that you think people should know about, contact me at: NHRasanders@gmail.com or you can message me on Twitter @asanders88 or @citizenscraze.

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Time In: Fitness Form and Fun

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Ready for this? I think that I have found the perfect exercise balance that cheats both training programs I am working on, but also combines them. Doesn't make sense? I'll explain...


The new schedule that I am following fell into place without any coaxing from me this week. It was really based on how much pain I could handle in a given time period.

Here's what happened:

I interrupted my 5-day running spree I had going to do the P90x arms, chest, back and abs workout Tuesday, and on Wednesday morning I discovered muscle pain in places I didn't know muscles existed. I have already done this workout sequence and those muscles have not hurt or even felt a slight burn. I took this to mean I am doing the workouts correctly. My form has gotten better, therefore I am feeling pain where I am supposed to feel pain, er, feel toned I mean.



It was too much pain to run, let alone move, yesterday, so I spent about 30 minutes stretching and was in fine shape for my run this morning. 

For beginners who are trying to increase their fitness level AND train for a race, I recommend the following schedule, from one amateur to another:

Mon: P90x - back, chest and arm workout (1 hour) + P90x ab workout (15 mins)

Tues: Stretch arms and legs for a lengthy period of time (30-45 mins) add some yoga moves so you are still strengthening your core.

Wed: Run - three miles (25 mins) + P90x ab workout (15 mins)

Thurs: P90x - arm and shoulder workout (1 hour) or Run - three miles (25 mins)

Fri: Run - three miles (25 mins) + P90x ab workout (15 mins) or P90x yoga and stretching (1.5 hours)

Sat: Run - three miles (25 mins) *Only do ab workout if you did not do it Friday. It isn't good to do it everyday

Sun: Rest (if you're weak!) Ok, ok, a rest day (in my amateur opinion, is fine.) Just don't munch on an entire bag of potato chips or a gallon of ice cream and you should be ok.

Now for my observations:.

Perks: This thrown-together schedule has given me four times the energy than I had starting out and it has helped me fall asleep at a reasonable hour and wake up at a reasonable hour after eight hours of peaceful sleep. 

Diet tips: I have been having one protein shake on the days that I run or do intense P90x workouts. I have also found that eating 4 small meals per day is keeping me full and satisfied. On nights that I come home from work at midnight, I'm not tempted to go straight to the fridge. I'm now tired (and full) enough to go right to sleep. 



Slacking: I have to make sure I stretch everyday. No matter what. Even for five or 10 minutes. And most importantly, I need to drink way more water. I mean, quadruple my water intake. I drink about 2 full water-bottles per day but should be drinking around eight during this workout plan.

This is a learning process, but I am finding it more enjoyable and less chore-like as I progress. As always, feel free to offer tips or share workout experiences. Happy working out!





Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home